A 3D ultrasound taken of a fetus at 20 weeks. (Photo credit: Wikipedia)
At the Huffington Post, Soraya Chemaly has written a searing critique of the Republican male interest in keeping women pregnant. “The rest of the civilized world,” she writes, “thinks this country has lost its mind. It’s no wonder. Look at this list of frenzied misogyny.” Blow are Ms. Chemaly’s top five reasons the world thinks the U.S. is crazy.
5. Disabling women or sacrificing their lives by withholding medical treatment or forcing them to undergo involuntary medical procedures. We impose an obligation on women to sacrifice their bodily integrity for another. (Take, for example, the case of Tysiac v. Poland, where a mother of two became blind after her doctor refused to perform an abortion that would have halted the course of a degenerative eye disease.) If my newborn is in need of a kidney, and you have a spare matching one, can I enact legislation that says the state can take yours and give it to her? No. We do not force people to give their organs to help others. One of the most fundamental of all human rights is that humans be treated equally before the law.
4. Forcing women to undergo involuntary vaginal penetration with a condom-covered, six- to eight-inch ultrasound probe. Pennsylvania and eleven other states are considering that option. Trans-vaginal ultrasounds undertaken without a woman’s consent are rape, according the legal definition of the word. This violates a woman’s bodily integrity and is torture when used as a form of control and oppression.
3. Criminalizing pregnancy and miscarriages and arresting, imprisoning, and charging women who miscarry with murder, like Rennie Gibbs in Mississippi or at least forty women in Alabama or like Bei Bei Shuai, a woman who is charged with murder after trying to commit suicide while pregnant. Pregnant women are becoming a special class subject to “special” laws that infringe on their fundamental rights.
2. Consigning women to death to save a fetus. Abortions save women’s lives. “Let women die” bills are happening all over the country. Every day, women die because they do not have access to safe abortions.
1. Making women carry still-born fetuses to full term because cows and pigs do. This week, Georgia State Representative Terry England supported a bill, which, taken tandem with other restrictions, will result in doctors and women being unable to make private, medically based decisions, and some women being forced to carry their dead or dying fetuses. Rep. England cited his empathy for livestock in arguing for the bill. Women are different from farm animals. This bill, requiring a woman to carry a dead or dying fetus, is inhumane and unethical. By forcing a woman to do this, you are violating her right not to be subjected to inhuman treatment.
There’s a lot more where that came from. In fact, Ms. Chemaly’s original post was ten reasons the world thinks the U.S. is crazy. I recommend you click here to read her thought-provoking article.