Chris Sigler wants a Gay-Straight Alliance at his Tennessee high school, but his principal says no. When Chris wore a shirt to school supporting the club, the principal allegedly assaulted Chris, and neither the school nor the sheriff’s office has investigated the assault since it occurred last Friday.
Chris was taking an economics exam when Principal Maurice Moser stormed into the classroom and ordered all other students to leave. (Chris’s sister, who was in the same class, refused to go.) Principal Moser shoved Chris against the wall, repeatedly bumped his chest against Chris, and shouted, “Who’s the big man now?”
Chris, who is straight, had been trying since August to create a Gay-Straight Alliance at Sequoyah High School. Chris wanted to create the club to offer support for gay students, including his sister, Jessica, who is bisexual. But Principal Moser blocked Chris from creating the group.
Chris created a home-made T-shirt to support the club. The back of his shirt read, “Gay-Straight Alliance: We’ve Got Your Back.”
If you’re interested, there is a petition on Change.org calling for a thorough investigation of the alleged assault.
- Tenn. Principal proves he’s “the big man now” after assaulting student (queerlandia.com)
- Pro-gay student assaulted by principal …Eden James, Change.org (ynative77.wordpress.com)
- Change.org: Pro-gay student assaulted by principal (taholtorf.wordpress.com)
- Principal Threatens His Own Student for Showing Support for Gay-Straight Alliance (patheos.com)
- ACLU weighs in on Sequoyah High gay club controversy (knoxnews.com)