The United States is calling for Syrian President Bashar al-Assad to step down.
The White House released a statement, followed by a formal announcement by Secretary of State Hillary Clinton.
The move is coordinated with Arab and European allies and comes one day after al-Assad told the head of the United Nations that military and police operations against anti-government protesters have stopped.
- Obama calls for Assad to resign, freezes Syrian assets (hotair.com)
- The United States Calls On terrorist Bashar Al-Assad To Step Down (NPR) (syrianemergencytaskforce.org)
- Obama calls for Syrian president to step down (macleans.ca)
- Obama tells Assad to ‘step aside’ (jta.org)
- World leaders, Obama call on Syrian president to step down (news.blogs.cnn.com)