The chairperson of the Democratic National Committee is calling for the resignation of Representative Anthony Weiner, who is under fire after admitting to conducting online relationships with six women during the past three years.
“It is with great disappointment that I call on Representative Anthony Weiner to resign,” DNC Chairwoman Debbie Wasserman Schultz said in a statement Saturday. “The behavior he has exhibited is indefensible and Representative Weiner’s continued service in Congress is untenable.”
She added, “This sordid affair has become an unacceptable distraction for Representative Weiner, his family, his constituents and the House — and for the good of all, he should step aside and address those things that should be most important — his and his family’s well-being.”
House Democratic leader Nancy Pelosi and Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee chair Steve Israel have also told Rep. Weiner that he should resign.
- Debbie Wasserman Schultz and Nancy Pelosi Want Anthony Weiner to Resign (blippitt.com)
- Reversal: Weiner Must Go (politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com)
- Anthony Weiner Seeks Treatment, Requests Leave Of Absence As Top Democrats Call For Resignation (policyabcs.wordpress.com)
- Weiner Must Go (zwingliusredivivus.wordpress.com)
- Nancy Pelosi Just Told Anthony Weiner To Resign: He “Needs Help” (thenewspundit.com)