In 1904, more than 1,000 people died when fire erupted aboard the steamboat General Slocum in New York City’s East River.
Monthly Archives: June 2011
In 1942, the United States and the Soviet Union signed a lend lease agreement to aid the Soviet war effort in World War II.
FreedomWorks, a conservative nonprofit that has provided much support behind the Tea Party movement, is reaching out to its members for guidance in deciding which Republican candidates to endorse in next year’s Senate primary battles.
An email to supporters asked for their opinions on whom to endorse in Missouri, where three Republican candidates are vying to take on Democratic Senator Claire McCaskill next year.
Brendan Steinhauser, the director of federal and state campaigns for FreedomWorks, has also told CNN that the group will be asking its members for advice in Senate contests in Florida, Montana, Nebraska, New Mexico, North Dakota, and Ohio. FreedomWorks is also on the ground in Indiana and Utah.
- FreedomWorks asking members for advice (politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com)
- FreedomWorks chief: If Romney’s the nominee, tea partiers might have to stay home (hotair.com)
The chairperson of the Democratic National Committee is calling for the resignation of Representative Anthony Weiner, who is under fire after admitting to conducting online relationships with six women during the past three years.
“It is with great disappointment that I call on Representative Anthony Weiner to resign,” DNC Chairwoman Debbie Wasserman Schultz said in a statement Saturday. “The behavior he has exhibited is indefensible and Representative Weiner’s continued service in Congress is untenable.”
She added, “This sordid affair has become an unacceptable distraction for Representative Weiner, his family, his constituents and the House — and for the good of all, he should step aside and address those things that should be most important — his and his family’s well-being.”
House Democratic leader Nancy Pelosi and Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee chair Steve Israel have also told Rep. Weiner that he should resign.
- Debbie Wasserman Schultz and Nancy Pelosi Want Anthony Weiner to Resign (blippitt.com)
- Reversal: Weiner Must Go (politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com)
- Anthony Weiner Seeks Treatment, Requests Leave Of Absence As Top Democrats Call For Resignation (policyabcs.wordpress.com)
- Weiner Must Go (zwingliusredivivus.wordpress.com)
- Nancy Pelosi Just Told Anthony Weiner To Resign: He “Needs Help” (thenewspundit.com)
In 1967, the Six-Day War ended as Israel and Syria agreed to observe a United Nations-mediated cease-fire.
On Thursday, CNN reported that Republican Presidential candidate Newt Gingrich’s campaign manager and several senior advisers to the campaign resigned.
At least five aides left the campaign, prompting Gingrich to declare that he would begin his campaign “anew.”
- Newt Gingrich Presidential Senior Campaign Staff Aids 2012 Team Resigns (realestateradiousa.com)
- Newt Gingrich’s Top Staff “Quit En Masse”, Will Candidate Be Next? (dekerivers.wordpress.com)
- Newt Gingrich’s presidential campaign is over before it ever really began. (slate.com)
- Gingrich aides resign, leave campaign in question (boston.com)
- Republican Gingrichs presidential hopes shattered as top aides resign en masse (theglobeandmail.com)