Pay attention, because this might be the only good thing I have to say in favor of Virginia Governor Bob McDonnell.
Gov. McDonnell just sent a letter to every Governor, urging them to close the gaps that allow mentally unstable people to buy guns.
Since the tragic Virginia Tech shooting, Virginia has made this issue a top priority. Their progress has set an example for the nation.
It’s a huge moment, and you can help make sure every Governor in America reads this letter and takes action.
Too many states haven’t closed the gaps that five years ago allowed a mentally unstable man to buy a gun and murder thirty-two people at Virginia Tech.
Governor McDonnell writes in his letter:
I believe that we can all work together to help prevent these acts from occurring again anywhere in our Nation. I write to ask for your support in providing critical information to the National Instant Criminal Background Check System.
Nearly half the states have submitted fewer than 100 mental health records into the system. Four have submitted none at all. That means millions of records are missing, and every missing record is another tragedy waiting to happen.
Please sign Gov. McDonnell’s letter and call on all states to get their records of prohibited gun purchasers into our national background check system: http://fixgunchecks.org/mcdonnell
- Reema was killed in the Virgina Tech massacre and some states have not changed the laws … Omar Samaha, Mayors Against Illegal Guns
- Virginia Republicans Repeal One Month Waiting Period For Gun Purchases
- “One way to remember them is to go to class. That’s what they were doing, and that’s what we live…”
- Handgun-a-Month Law Repealed by Virginia Governor
- Virginia Tech Marks Five-Year Anniversary of Mass Shooting