The court stayed the execution so it could consider a Supreme Court appeal Buck lodged yesterday. Buck claims his death sentence was marred by trial testimony that he was more likely to be violent in the future because he is black.
The court’s order did not address the merits of Buck’s claim and indicated the stay would be lifted if the court ultimately declined to hear Buck’s appeal.
Buck had already eaten his last meal of apples, French fries, fried chicken, fried fish, jalapeño peppers, and salad when he got word that the Supreme Court stayed the execution.
After receiving the news, Buck began to pray. “Praise the Lord,” he said. “God is worthy of praise. God’s mercy trumps judgment. I feel good.”
- Supreme Court Halts Buck Execution (blogs.wsj.com)
- US top court stays Texas death row inmate execution (independent.co.uk)
- Justice Scalia helps prevent a Rick Perry execution (dailykos.com)
- Perry makes first public comments since stay of execution for Texas inmate (politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com)
- “He said, ‘God is worthy to be praised. God’s mercy triumphs over judgment, and I feel good.’” (shortformblog.tumblr.com)