In 1904, more than 1,000 people died when fire erupted aboard the steamboat General Slocum in New York City’s East River.
Monthly Archives: June 2011
In 1942, the United States and the Soviet Union signed a lend lease agreement to aid the Soviet war effort in World War II.
FreedomWorks, a conservative nonprofit that has provided much support behind the Tea Party movement, is reaching out to its members for guidance in deciding which Republican candidates to endorse in next year’s Senate primary battles.
An email to supporters asked for their opinions on whom to endorse in Missouri, where three Republican candidates are vying to take on Democratic Senator Claire McCaskill next year.
Brendan Steinhauser, the director of federal and state campaigns for FreedomWorks, has also told CNN that the group will be asking its members for advice in Senate contests in Florida, Montana, Nebraska, New Mexico, North Dakota, and Ohio. FreedomWorks is also on the ground in Indiana and Utah.
- FreedomWorks asking members for advice (politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com)
- FreedomWorks chief: If Romney’s the nominee, tea partiers might have to stay home (hotair.com)
The chairperson of the Democratic National Committee is calling for the resignation of Representative Anthony Weiner, who is under fire after admitting to conducting online relationships with six women during the past three years.
“It is with great disappointment that I call on Representative Anthony Weiner to resign,” DNC Chairwoman Debbie Wasserman Schultz said in a statement Saturday. “The behavior he has exhibited is indefensible and Representative Weiner’s continued service in Congress is untenable.”
She added, “This sordid affair has become an unacceptable distraction for Representative Weiner, his family, his constituents and the House — and for the good of all, he should step aside and address those things that should be most important — his and his family’s well-being.”
House Democratic leader Nancy Pelosi and Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee chair Steve Israel have also told Rep. Weiner that he should resign.
- Debbie Wasserman Schultz and Nancy Pelosi Want Anthony Weiner to Resign (blippitt.com)
- Reversal: Weiner Must Go (politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com)
- Anthony Weiner Seeks Treatment, Requests Leave Of Absence As Top Democrats Call For Resignation (policyabcs.wordpress.com)
- Weiner Must Go (zwingliusredivivus.wordpress.com)
- Nancy Pelosi Just Told Anthony Weiner To Resign: He “Needs Help” (thenewspundit.com)
In 1967, the Six-Day War ended as Israel and Syria agreed to observe a United Nations-mediated cease-fire.
On Thursday, CNN reported that Republican Presidential candidate Newt Gingrich’s campaign manager and several senior advisers to the campaign resigned.
At least five aides left the campaign, prompting Gingrich to declare that he would begin his campaign “anew.”
- Newt Gingrich Presidential Senior Campaign Staff Aids 2012 Team Resigns (realestateradiousa.com)
- Newt Gingrich’s Top Staff “Quit En Masse”, Will Candidate Be Next? (dekerivers.wordpress.com)
- Newt Gingrich’s presidential campaign is over before it ever really began. (slate.com)
- Gingrich aides resign, leave campaign in question (boston.com)
- Republican Gingrichs presidential hopes shattered as top aides resign en masse (theglobeandmail.com)
In 1954, Army counsel Joseph N. Welch confronted Senator Joseph R. McCarthy during the Senate-Army Hearings over McCarthy’s attack on a member of Welch’s law firm, Frederick G. Fisher. Said Welch: “Have you no sense of decency, sir? At long last, have you left no sense of decency?”
On Wednesday, the Texas Rangers used their thirty-third-round MLB amateur draft pick to select a University of Georgia outfielder named Johnathan Taylor.
Taylor is paralyzed from the waist down following an on-field collision with college teammate Zach Cone in March.
After the Rangers selected Cone with the thirty-seventh overall pick on Monday, they told Cone they were thinking of drafting Taylor to support him as he works toward rehabilitation.
Johnathan’s mother Tandra called the news “awesome” and said her son’s face “lit up” when he heard about the pick.
Taylor is currently in rehabilitation. His spinal cord was not severed, so doctors believe there is room for improvement in his condition.
Baseball teams routinely use late-round picks to symbolically draft players they never expect to play. The Rangers’ selection of Taylor was a way to show support and an acknowledgement of the talent he possessed before his accident. Taylor had a .312 batting average for Georgia, where he was also an honor student.
And, in keeping with the Rangers’ spirit, the Houston Astros selected San Jacinto College reliever Buddy Lamothe in the fortieth round. Lamothe had a 0.86 ERA before being paralyzed in an accident.
- Rangers draft paralyzed outfielder Johnathan Taylor (hardballtalk.nbcsports.com)
- Rangers draft paralyzed outfielder Johnathan Taylor (lewp.wordpress.com)
- Rangers draft paralyzed Georgia outfielder (mlb.mlb.com)
- 2011 MLB Draft Results: Texas Rangers Draft Paralyzed Johnathan Taylor (bleacherreport.com)
- The Astros drafted a paralyzed player, too: Buddy Lamothe (hardballtalk.nbcsports.com)
A New Mexico man, Greg Fultz, paid $1,300 to have the above billboard erected to shame his ex-girlfriend (whom I will not name). The sign reads, “This Would Have Been A Picture Of My 2-Month Old Baby If The Mother Had Decided To Not KILL Our Child!”
Sure, it just seems like it’s another anti-choice crazy person antic, but here’s the kicker:
FULTZ ADMITS THAT HE DOES NOT KNOW THAT HIS EX HAD AN ABORTION. In fact, her friends have stated that she, in fact, had a miscarriage. Fultz doesn’t care. “[I]f it was abortion,” he says, “then my purpose is to try to prevent this from happening to someone else.”
In fact, the billboard initially had the support of Right to Life New Mexico, but once they found out that Fultz didn’t know whether his girlfriend had an abortion, they rescinded their support.
Now, obviously, it doesn’t matter whether she had an abortion or not, because Fultz is just terrible, terrible, terrible. He’s so despicable that I wish Countdown with Keith Olbermann were still on just so I could see Keith call him the “Worst Person in the World.”
Last week, a domestic court commissioner advised the billboard be removed and a protective order be issued for the ex-girlfriend, because clearly Fultz is a nut willing to go to extreme measures to shame his ex.
- Man Attempts To Shame Girlfriend For Abortion Using Billboard; Is Asshole (thegloss.com)
- Greg Fultz Erects Billboard Claiming Ex Had Abortion (PHOTO) (blippitt.com)
- Abortion Billboard Could Land Man in Jail (abcnews.go.com)
- What Right to Privacy? (sherights.com)
- New Mexico Billboard Triggers Fight Between Privacy and Free Speech (jonathanturley.org)